To install the 3M Cloud Library application on your Kindle Fire, you will need your Kindle Fire started with an Internet connection active and your library card number and PIN. It is also recommended that you have a USB cable to connect the Kindle Fire to your PC and access the files on the Kindle Fire from the My Computer icon.
1. In order to install the 3M Cloud Library Android application onto your Fire, you will need to allow 3rd part applications to be installed on your Fire.
a. Depending on which Kindle Fire you have, you can either go to System options (tap the Gear icon at the top of the screen):
b. or place your finger at the very top of the screen and drag it down to show a menu then tap the More button
2. Tap on Device and scroll down and find Allow Installation of Applications. Set this to ON.
3. Go back to the Home screen and open a web browser. Go to the following web page: http://ebookdownload.3m.com/apps/android/3mcloudlibrary.apk
PLEASE NOTE YOU MUST ENTER THE WEB PAGE AS YOU SEE IT ABOVE WITH ALL LOWER CASE LETTERS OR YOU WILL GET A 404 ERROR.
a. When you load the page the file will begin to download and will be put into a folder on your Kindle Fire.
b. The file is saved with an extension of ZIP but it needs to be APK in order for it to be installed.
- Open Windows Explorer.
- Connect your Kindle to your PC. A pop-up window will appear on your PC (see below).
- Select “Open folder to view files,” then click on “Ok.”
- Navigate to a folder called DOWNLOAD. Double click on the file to open it.
a. You will see the file listed with a ZIP extension. This needs to be changed to APK.
b. Right click on the file and select Rename and then remove the letters ZIP and then type APK and press Enter, then click Yes to change the name extension.
3M Cloud file after it is downloaded.
You need to change the extension of the file before it can be installed.
4. On the Kindle, go to the Home screen and select Apps and then tap the word Device at the top.
a. You may see an icon called Easy Installer – if you don’t see it, download it from the Amazon market.
b. When you open Easy Installer, it will look for applications to install.
- You should see the Cloud Library app in the list.
- Tap the box on the far right side to select it and then tap on “Install Selected apps” at the bottom of the screen and tap Install at the bottom to begin the installation.
- When the app is installed you can open it by tapping the Open button at the bottom of the screen.
5. The app will launch:
a. Select your State & Library.
b. Enter Card #. Your library card must begin with 21057. If it does not, please ask for a free replacement card at your branch library. Important: Please use your 14-digit PINES library card number when logging into the 3M Cloud Library, even if you have changed your PINES account username.
c. Enter PIN. If you don’t have a PIN, please visit your branch library with your library card and photo ID to obtain your library PIN.
d. End User License Agreement – Read & Tap “Agree.”
e. Your library’s 3M Cloud books should be open. If you have any questions or problem please contact your library.
OPTIONAL If you need additional help logging in and using 3M Cloud Library:
- Getting Started (Logging in)
- Overview of App Features (your account, searching for books)
- Using the 3M Cloud Library Web App (to locate & check out a book)
- Check Out a Book (Lending Periods, Limits)
- Reading a Book on the Computer
- Transfer a Book to Your Reading Device (includes compatible devices)
- Place Holds
- Return a Book Early
- Using More Than One Reading Device
- Sharing a Computer with Others?
These instructions are to be used as a reference only. Please note that by downloading the 3m cloud library app you assume all risk of data loss or system damage to your device. By downloading the application it will not automatically update to any newer versions. In order to update you will have to uninstall the current version and install the newer version using the same procedure.